Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
It's always easier to spread fear than to educate since fear is a much more primal reaction. People don't want to learn or if they do, they only want to learn what they believe is true.

I see that crap all the time in my line of work. "I wanna get stronger, but not bulk, so let's do 20-50 reps." Me: "You'll get stronger doing heavier weight." Them: "But that's bulking!"
This is a big part of the problem with disinformation in general. Emotional reactions are just that RE-actions. You see it in the differential responses to people/things that are different. Our reptile brain (amygdala) sees this, is fearful, and wants to make it go away. That requires no thought at all. It is a low energy process.

To conquer that fear and accept difference or the unknown or ambiguity requires the employment of cognitive parts of the brain. You have to make multiple connections between values, information and ideas. These connections have to be evaluated, considered, and understood. That requires effort and is energy intensive. So we're less likely to do it. Therefore, our first reaction is often intolerant. The fear mongers know this. The Alex Joneses of the world know they can't get rich encouraging people to think before buying into their shit, but scare them?? They'll fill your pockets.

edit; t's among the reasons conspiracy theories are popular and gain traction so quickly. The promoters do a little of the lifting. They present an initial statement and a conclusion. In between they weave a loose, badly woven tapestry of bullshit to lead their victims from point A to point Z. If you look closely at the fabric of it, the logic of it, it's falling apart, It works because we are a lazy, internal energy conserving species. The problem for those who want to counter these bullshit artists is the time required to do it. It's easy to create the tapestry, to find and expose the flaws takes time and effort. While you're doing that, the BSers have created an entirely new work of "art" and are screaming "fake news" about those who are working to expose the BS in the first one. It's a very hard hill to climb.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 04-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-16-2021), weederr33 (04-16-2021)