View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #3435
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankopotomous View Post
I hate the road noise and wish for a more comfortable ride.

Back in February 19 I got my stock asphalt manual 13 FR-S with 34k miles. I drive roughly 1.3k L.A. traffic highway miles a month and I hate the road noise/ride quality. Upgrading from stock tires to 225/45/17 MPS4's improved grip immensely but did nothing to quiet road noise. Shouting to passengers or listening to the stock radio between 40-50 volume on the highway seems excessive.

I love the sports car weight and handling, it feels like riding a guided missile barreling down the 110. Now the car is approaching 60k/a major service interval. I can't help to imagine that some dynamat, sound deadening, lightweight 17x9+35's, a sound tube delete, or new bushings/window seals may be in order.

These are over exaggerations but I really believe the car can be improved to a true GT.

Has anyone built and achieved a comfortable "GT" build?

I don’t think I would like driving my car in LA traffic, Dallas traffic is bad enough. [emoji1361] Unfortunately the FRS isn’t ever going to be very comfortable or quiet, unless you go to extreme lengths. And then you start to wonder wouldn’t a different car be better? I’m jealous of some of the amazing roads you have in California, but the traffic would kill me in this car.
Some tips that you and others have mentioned, better tires can help, get rid of the sound tube it sucks, and maybe have a good shop install some dynamat? Unless you feel comfortable doing that yourself. Other than that I can’t think of anything else. [emoji28] Do you have manual or the auto?
Honestly if I lived in LA and having the FRS as a second option wasn’t possible, I would get a better GT type car. Something like the Golf R would be perfect. Comfortable but still fun, and if you get the DSG trans, it is excellent at being docile or fast shifting. And if the AWD seems like overkill, a new GTI could be great.
You will lose most of the mechanical raw feel of the FRS, but you won’t be miserable in traffic. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote