new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
See this is one of those things, because I'm turning into more of miser in my old age (39), a $30k car doesn't really seem affordable to me.

I know there are plenty here who make more, I'll just leave it at, I haven't gotten any stimulus checks.

For the sake of math, if you don't put anything down, a $31k car, is nearly a $600/month car payment (if you have to finance longer than 5 years for an affordable payment, you can't afford it). And that doesn't include the thousands in sales tax/registration, then add in monthly insurance costs.

I know if you account for inflation cars are cheaper than they have ever been. Is it just that so many American's are OK with being in so much debt that a small hiccup can ruin them?

I hear you. I'm a lot older than you and have saved a few pennies along the way. If I look at four years out and buy a 2022 in 2025/6 I would estimate the car to be worth about 18-20K at that time. I can handle that. My current 2015 will be worthless (to others) but will still have under 100km on the odometer. I'll think that'll suit me just fine. Time will tell. There's also the possibility something else will catch my eye or I stop tracking my current car. You can't tell the future.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote