Old 03-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Isn't port injection only added at low and high RPM? Wouldn't then the bulk of operation be direct injection only? I remember seeing a graph detailing the breakdown between direct and port injection, but can't find it now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
I recall seeing that one too. Can't find it either.

IIRC, the car starts on port (maybe because the DI pump needs a moment to ramp up fuel pressure? It's mechanical, right?), and then always uses DI as soon as it becomes available. Port is only active as a complement below roughly 4 500rpm. Past that, it's DI only.

Some Ford engines are the opposite, using a majority of port with DI as a performance complement. Which allows them to idle on the quieter port system.

But as others pointed out, the FA20D's a fairly agricultural engine with a rather high degree of complexity (4 cams & 8 injectors on only 4 cylinders), plus the car lacks deadening and is running on a platform that wasn't created for luxury.

I *think* the EU cars are a little quieter due to a more restrictive rear muffler and more hood sound deadening, though I guess it mutes them more than it refines them.
Yep. And you can really easily hear when they kick in and out.
Ohio Enthusiast (03-11-2021)