Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jng View Post
Hi guys,

Have a few questions for those who did the swap with the GRB '08-'11 STI WRX Brembos (black calipers). I have a base model 86 (Asian spec), and I purchased a set of '08-'11 STI WRX calipers + rotors which had been previously modified for use on a Subaru Forester (PCD 5 x 100). The calipers are the GRB ones, which I guess are fine, but the rear rotors are WRX ones which were used to fit the Subaru Forester (5 x 100, vs. 5 x 114.3).

Base spec brakes are ventilated front discs and solid rear discs.

Question 1:

The WRX rear rotors, while 5 x 100, are not able to fit the 86 because of the 86's handbrake mechanism is larger than the rotor's inner handbrake bell. I compared this with the stock GT86 (upper spec) rotor, and the diameter is indeed less. I had read in another thread that the part number for the stock base model (Asian spec) caliper and rotor was as per the '08-'11 WRX, but not sure how this is the case as the rotor does not fit due to the inner handbrake bell.

Will this issue be solved if I just get one of the replacement DBA rotors which are dual PCD drilled for the '08-'11 STI WRX Brembos? Either DBA42656S-10, DBA42656 (XS) or DBA4655?

EDIT: Have answered my own question with a bit more reading. Will look at the DBA4654S-10 for front and DBA42656S-10 for rear.

Question 2:

The rear GRB STI Brembo caliper does not fit the base model (Asian spec) rear knuckle without a custom bracket. Anyone can confirm this? Does the original GRB STI Brembo caliper come with a bracket, or is the caliper able to be directly bolted on to the "normal spec" GT86/BRZ/FR-S rear knuckle? If original caliper came with a bracket, does anyone have the OEM part number for it? My workshop will try mounting the rear caliper direct onto a BRZ tomorrow to see if there is difference in the rear knuckle with the base spec.

I guess worst case scenario I will have to fabricate a custom bracket to get the rear caliper to be mounted on the knuckle.

Question 3:

Anyone done the GRB STI Brembo swap, front and rear, and able to fit in a Wedssport TC105N (17 x 8)?

Thank you.
Answer 1: You'll need to get the correct DBA rotor to suit the handbrake mechanism. I forgot the part number but what you've mentioned seems familiar. Only thing you'll need to do is trim the stock heat shield to accommodate the larger rotor....easy job.

Answer 2: If you've got the GRB "black STI" calipers...then it's direct bolt on no brackets required whatsoever on ALL GT86/BRZ/FRS variants regardless of model....because the mounting holes on the hub carriers itself are all identical.

Answer 3: Yes they fit perfect. In fact that's exactly what I have.

Last edited by Fizz; 07-12-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote