View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #88
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been driving my friends ap2 s2000 in the canyons every other weekend for the past 1-2 months so I thought I'd post an update here. He's done a few mods since my last post, namely fresher OEM dampers and a max OEM camber alignment (roughly -2.0 F, -2.8 R). I thought these were nice improvements over his previous setup. Seems like the front end has more grip now and maintains contact better with the ground over midcorner bumps. I can still feel the rear rotating under moderate trail-braking but nothing that will catch you out. I actually find his current setup very intuitive and easy to drive aggressively (coming from my tracked FRS). The balance is adjustable with the pedals, which I like. With stickier tires I think he'll want to dial in the alignment a bit more, but on his current tires I think it's good enough.

He also added stoptech sport pads which are just ok. The hot bite is good, but the pads still fade in the canyons when driven moderately hard.

I also upgraded my FRS to a lighter flywheel and wanted to see if I'd notice any difference against his s2000. We did a 25-80 mph pull starting in 2nd. Surprisingly this time he pulled half a car in the beginning of 2nd and then we were dead even the rest of the way. Not the result I was expecting! He claimed he may have jumped the horn a bit in the beginning and was able to nail the 2-3 shift (i.e., minimal CDV delay) but I was expecting to make up some ground and instead it was completely even after that. He also had his top up that run (vs. his top down the last time I pulled on him) so maybe that made a difference. I'll try to do another pull with him at some future time, but interesting how close it is between an e85 FRS and stock ap2 in a straight line, which makes it fun in the canyons.

Overall I still really enjoy driving his s2000, especially as his car gets closer to how I've setup my FRS. Both of us agree the powerband on the f22c still feels somewhat narrow at times compared with the e85 fa20. He's looking into a hondata tune to lower the vtec xover and raise the redline to try to get at least a 3000 rpm spread on the top end. After that, I think the next area to address will be his brakes. On my FRS, I'm going to see if I can get a set of low grip street tires to match his and even out the playing field a bit in the canyons. Should be fun!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (10-17-2020), CSG Mike (07-30-2020)