Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
There's been lots of talk about the camber curve in the front, extended ball joints and tie rod ends, that sort of thing. Is there any reason to worry about the camber curve in the rear? As I understand it, the lower the ride height the more camber is gained for the same amount of tire movement. Can this upset the overall balance once the ride height is too low?

There's also been things like, 20 mm lowered ride height is the lowest we should go before bump steer becomes a worry thrown, around. I'm guessing this was referencing the front suspension. How is the rear for bump steer? Does it become a worry at any ride height?

Finally, what bushings (if any) would your guys recommend to be replaced in the car. Clearly RCE sells some bushings kits, but is there anything else that isn't included that actually benefits handling or helps prevent wheel hop.

Guys, thanks a ton for doing this!
The front will initially gain negative camber as it compresses, and then eventually start to lose negative camber (go positive). The rear will always gain negative camber as it compresses, and gain faster as it compresses more.

Once ride height is too low, several things happen:

- You lose negative camber in the front under hard cornering on the loaded tire (compression), and gain it on the unloaded tire. This is the worst of both for grip.
- Roll center adjusts downward, making the car take a lot longer to "settle" (layman's term) when you start cornering. You'll notice it takes a long time for the car to really grip when its turning if you're too low
- The balance of grip is upset, because the rear camber curves and the front camber curves are too different. Effectively, the rear gains negative camber when you turn, while the front loses negative camber.

Bump steer (toe change along the compression curve) on this car, IMO, is not too bad at all. Others may disagree, but I use it to my advantage when cornering. Some people like to have zero bump steer, but my stance is that it's a preference thing.

Bushings will help prevent wheel hop under hard cornering. The CSG BRZ doesn't have any, and it does suffer for it, and we do plan on eventually doing them. However, our concept is to keep the car as simple as possible, and as streetable and tame looking as we can.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-29-2013), MALAJSTD (04-01-2017)