Old 12-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowen0fpts View Post
Been a big fan of the twins since they were originally released and own a BRZ myself. Was pretty set on the GR and even have a reservation placed at a dealership.

However, business has been far better than expected and if this continues then that may open the doors to other options. Seeing as how the Supra will be released in a manual transmission in 6 months, I’ve been considering it more and more.

I know a lot about the twins but I don’t know a ton about the Supra. I will research of course, but I wanted to come here first and ask the people who’s taste is most like mine - which one would you rather have if either one could be given to you? And why?
These questions always open the possibilities when more money is on the table to used cars like for the price of a new Supra someone could get two used vehicles or a new GR86 and a used C6 or Cayman or luxury daily, or someone coukd buy two GR86s: one to daily and one for the track.

But if I was just going to review the two, the Supra is a far better daily driver. It is more premium or luxurious. The adaptive suspension, active diff, much smoother and more powerful and high power potential will all make it a far better car. The GR86 will be lighter and more engaging to drive, but louder, noisier and more harsh like a track car. The NA engine will require you to rev it out. You can add forced induction and get it to be quicker, but the transmission and engine will cap the power around what the Supra makes from the factory without Supra $$$ investing in a built block and transmission swap, so if you want big power then just get the Supra. The Supra will be a more mature car that you will rarely see compared to the 86 that will be in every parking lot and driving by teenagers and people in their 20’s much more. In short, this is closer to asking if you should buy a Civic Si or a BMW M2. Some people will say that regardless of the fact that the Supra is a better car on paper and faster and more tune-able, the GR86 is a better driver’s car because of the light weight, communicative chassis and more direct steering, and the NA engine is more engaging around town.

Personally, I would take them both on test drives. You will know right away which one suits you. If you choose the GR86, just consider its tuning limits if you think you may want more power.
scionfrs2014 (12-30-2021)