Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
for track you may compromise comfort for performance, and you should adapt your car to the track and environment anyway theoretically
but having to find a way to block rain going into air inlet before driving to the grocery with your DD sounds stupid to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfs View Post
It's much easier for a race car team to adjust their set up to accommodate the weather condition than a DD commuter to do it; for things like setting up a water-proof/dust-proof CAI will not cost them more than 5 mins, replacing the rear diff case just under a couple of mins, etc.

Then, how could it be possible to expect Joe Bloggs to make such complicated setups whenever they want to drive?
Will you consider removing your bumper and cover up the racing cold air snorkel then put back the bumper whenever it's raining or you'd traverse a dusty worksite? If your answer is yes, then you are a dinosaur.

There is barely in comparison when talking about using race car parts on a street car; for those parts derived from the race track, if you are expecting 100% performance from it, then you'd disappointed as it will not compatible to use on the daily drive condition; your street car parts are serviced by KM or by year, whereas the race parts are serviced by hours. That's why the OEM engineers pay lots of energy and time to make a final compromise on their products, race cars only consider performance as prior then it's the reasonable lifespan and the last is drive comfort.

I'm using my gt86 as a dedicated track day toy, I towed my car to the race track, I could use race car parts on it, but that doesn't mean it will suitable for others, everyone has their own scenario for the different purpose, just choose the right one to use. And of course, you do could use race parts for your street car, but it's just the parts not designed for that purpose, and if you could bear the extra NVH and pre-mature wear, just enjoy.
You would have to be fording fairly deep water for it to be a concern. I have the the maxracing duct that opens right behind the grill and have never had an issue even in heavy downpours.

See here,here and here to see the design.

It does pick up a lot of dust though. I have to clean my air filter fairly frequently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Alfs (03-28-2021)