View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #1592
NeverInTime

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I cannot see Toyota coming out with a car that would have the potential the MKIV had/has. I really am not sure who their target buyer and competitor is for this new Supra/FT-1/whatever.
What car do you think they are aiming at?
The Mark IV Supra was not a cheap car when it came out, as I'm sure other people have mentioned before. It was around $30-40,000 back in 1996, which is about $51,000-68,000 adjusted for inflation. Based on the current market trends, it makes sense if Toyota aims at the grand-touring market with a hybrid drive-train GT coupe to supplement the Lexus RC line of V6/V8 luxury coupes which run from $45,000 to over $60,000.

Much of the potential of the MK IV was in its robust and easily moddable engine, but that was designed in a different market environment. Modern engines (and cars) have more limitations in terms of emissions, safety, materials, and import regulations that they have to meet. In addition, the MKIV Supra historically did not sell well during its last years of production, so expecting Toyota to stick to many of the same elements that eventually made the MKIV popular AFTER they stopped production is just a recipe for disappointment.