Old 02-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #46
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Drop the WRX and get either a Kona N or Civic hatch. Unless the WRX becomes miraculously better next gen, it's imo no longer a bargain in the segment it competes, more of just an average to nearing below average.

I think the WRX best exists in the modified world, but then the STi is even better.
The Kona N, I don't think I want another small SUV/crossover thing in the family (wife already has a Crosstrek). I'm also not a fan of DCT transmissions. Hate the jerky, uneven feel under normal driving conditions. They may be able to shift in thousandths of a second or whatever, but driving like a sane person, they have a strange, neither-in-gear-nor-out slipping clutch feel under many conditions (at least the Hyundai versions do). Taking off from a stop is an especially uncertain sensation.

I'd probably buy a Crosstrek for myself first, especially since it's available with a stick (though not with the new more powerful engine).

The Civic is an interesting option. I looked at it closely at the time along with the WRX. I came close to pulling the trigger on the Civic, but found the seats to be a little too narrow for my aging, spreading butt (though with the benefit of experience, the WRX's more comfortable seats are offset by the 'rally tuned' stiff suspension).

I drove the STi as well, just for the fun of it. You're right, it's a WRX on steroids. Intense and fun, but too harsh and intense for me as a daily driver, a stiffer ride than even the WRX (though much younger people would likely find it just fine).
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote