Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Not being able to read Japanese (despite having spent a lot of time there), I can't tell if these are actual depictions of the car provided by Subaru, or someone's photoshop fantasy?

I have a 2019 WRX as my 'practical daily driver' in addition to a 2019 BRZ as my 'impractical fun car' (and my wife has a 2019 Crosstrek)(Yes, I know, I'm not right in the head. I'm told that often. I don't care, we like all of them). The WRX is a very different driving experience than the BRZ, in some ways better, in others not so much. Overall I find the WRX to be an impressive, fun car for the price, like the BRZ but in different ways.

Both engines are 2.0, but very different in character. It does have much more low-end torque than the BRZ, but is a typical turbo motor in that there is nothing right off idle, then a WHAM! slingshot catapult at around 2500 rpm, and then it's all pretty much over by 5000 rpm. With the nanny software pulling timing for whatever impenetrable reasons it has, power delivery is rarely smooth. It's fun and powerful, but I have to say, overall I prefer the relatively linear, smoother output of the BRZ.

Compared to the BRZ, the WRX feels much more solidly built. It's 'practical' in that it's a 4-door sedan. The backseat has reasonable room for moderately-sized people, and the trunk surprisingly spacious. But the suspension is rock-hard stiff. I find the ride OK for up to about 3 hours or so, and tiring afterwards. It's almost intolerable in the back seat, being right over the rear axle (passengers back there complain loudly of their heads hitting the roof over any bumps).

I like the WRX, but it isn't as 'practical' as I hoped it would be (at least not for this 60-ish aging body). 20- and 30-somethings would probably find it just fine, but I've got in the back of my mind (and gravitating towards the front) the need to get something a little less filling-loosening to drive.
Drop the WRX and get either a Kona N or Civic hatch. Unless the WRX becomes miraculously better next gen, it's imo no longer a bargain in the segment it competes, more of just an average to nearing below average.

I think the WRX best exists in the modified world, but then the STi is even better.