Old 03-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobharp View Post
Hi,

There seems to be an extreme lack of info on the stock stereo head unit that came with my 2020 86.

[*]Audio seems less decent than it should be
I have a 2020 Hakone Edition. The sound quality is tinny and generally poor compared with the Pioneer unit in my 2015 Scion FR-S. Today I think I found the problem.

The 2020 unit has tone controls which appear to do almost nothing. If I set +5 on Bass and -5 on mid-range and treble, it still has very little effect and not much bass or musical resonance. The 2015 unit has quite a bit of equalization control and the three positions for Natural, Hear, Feel have a significant impact.

So I decided to listen to my local classical music station today on the 2020. As usual, the sound was tinny. I stopped the car, opened the drivers side door and put ear next to the door speaker. Guess what? NOTHING!. No sound at all coming out of door speakers. The rear speakers and the mid/tweeter in the dash work, but the "woofers" in the door are inop.

Wiring issue, head unit? The Pioneer had an amp under the rear seat. Is that an issue? I only have 350 miles on the 2020 so I will have the dealer look into this at the first service.

Doug

PS I am a professional musician with 60 years experience playing low brass, so I consider my "ear" pretty educated...
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
Myriad (03-13-2020)