Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Try and drive both. Many of the changes don’t make the car objectively better, but more subjectively depending on what you like. Hope that makes any sense.

I recently looked hard into 2017+ cars and I test drove a few local ones. I came to the conclusion that I *hate* the ride on the PP shocks and that none of the changes for 2017 make the car any better for me. I didn’t notice any difference in noise/NVH comfort (my 13 has 2017 shocks and springs) or sound deadening. The final drive change was imperceptible to me, and I wasn’t impressed by the brembos. I decided to stick with my 13 and spend some money on a few upgrades rather than dropping $10-15k on a stock 17-18.

Your opinion may be different, as others’ on this forum. Drive both and see for yourself. Good thing is you can’t really go wrong with either one.
Going from the 14 to the 20 I have a much different review on a couple of points. After a test drive of a BRZ I agree that the PP is only of value if you plan to track or want the bling factor and doesn't make much sense for a street car.
The other refinements to the "normal" car though have really impressed me and were far greater than I anticipated. The stiffening, final drive and minor improvements in the suspension gave a much better driving experience. I will repeat that I did not anticipate that these minor change would have the cumulative effect that they do. Over all the 2020 just seems more refined to me after driving it for a while that I didn't really catch on the short test drive. There could also be some confirmation bias involved since I brains like to play with us but I think I have spent enough time in each to know the change is real.

Milk,
Here is a list of the changes between the two:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2016 BRZ.pdf (7.80 MB, 372 views)
daiheadjai (08-27-2020)