View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
Zaraia

Drives: 2015 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Remove the cabin air filter first to make sure that is not the source of the smell.

Sweet smell inside the cabin does usually mean the heater core is leaking. As a temporary "fix" (or permanent since you appear to be in south Florida) you can bypass the heater core by disconnecting the heater hoses at the firewall and coupling them together with a suitable sized piece of pipe and clamps. (I would guess 1/2" to 5/8" dia.) That will enable you to drive the car without worrying about it overheating, just make sure you burp the system after you reconnect the heater hoses together since you will have introduced air into the system.

As for the smell, that will still be present since there's still some antifreeze in the core and the leak is still there. You could flush out the core with a hose then suck the water out with a wet/dry vac. Once any leaked antifreeze has dried up, the smell should go away.
Will my car be safe to drive if i just dont use the heater? Or would i be putting it at risk for even further damage if i continue to drive it?
Zaraia is offline   Reply With Quote