View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake fluid recommendation?

Hi. Recently my brakes ended their life (both disks and pads) and when I heard quote for replacement OEM Brembo disks and pads both me and Subaru dealership/workshop I service my car in decided that f*ck this sh*t I'm out. They recommended me DBA Xtreme Performance slotted disks and pads that go with them instead. They looked fine and price was good so I decided - why not. I always wanted slotted disks anyways.

Unfortunately today, during some more intense testing, my brakes went off almost completely - definitely thermals related issue since when I gave them a break (heh) for a while they got back to normal but then when I started hammering them again, they started to fade away again. I'm not entirely sure what's at fault - it could be pads but considering they have optimal operating temps up to 550°C and disks start to glow at 400°C I'm having quite hard time believing that I was able to reach such temps during street driving (sure, I'm on TW 50 tires and I was really beating those breaks quite hard with multiple 160-0 kph but still it sounds quite unlikely).

So my blind guess is that it could be brake fluid. Since well I'm on some generic crappy OEM Subaru brake fluid and brake cycles to 0, frequent in hard city driving tend to be quite harsh for breaking fluid since you stand still on hot brakes and I heard that it may result in brake fluid heating up and boiling.

So what are your recommendations in the field of brake fluids? Sorry for TL;DR but I wanted to give some context just in case my reasoning is severely flawed at some point and it couldn't be brake fluid.
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote