View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 03:38 AM   #3345
toijin

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Guy View Post
Anyone know why the BRZ is so much cheaper? As far as I can tell the BRZ has everything the 86 GTS does with the exception of the leather seats, heated seats (which aren't exactly going to get used in Australia) and rear spoiler?

I was at a Toyota dealership and they said they aren't the same car, Toyota carries two models, Toyota has it's own QA processes (I'm sure Subaru's would be the same) and a different gearbox (and maybe something else I can't remember).

The first two of those are largely irrelevant, but I wasn't aware the gearbox was different. I would assume there can't be that much of a difference?

I'm looking at an auto 86 GTS (AU$43,081 drive away/on road) or an auto BRZ (AU$36,160) but can't see why there is so much of a price difference - $6,921 or 19%. I know there are less BRZs, but if anything that should mean they cost more than the 86s.

Talking to the Toyota dealership they seemed to give the impression they wouldn't be able to meet Subaru's price which makes me wonder why at those price points anyone would get an 86. Is there something I'm missing?

--edit--
It looks like, in Australia at least, the BRZ doesn't have an option for a proper rear spoiler, only the 'STI Boot Lip Spoiler (Crystal Black)'. Can anyone comment on why this would be the case when it looks to be available in other markets and was available on the 2016 model as an option.

I want to know this as well, the BRZ is a lot cheaper, with the only difference between the two being the front bumper, so it's up to preference on whether or not you want to pay up to $7k more for a Toyota badge.

However, i think after you choose some of the 'options' to include rear spoiler and the leather seats, the price is much closer at $40,812, about $2k cheaper. I haven't been to a Toyota dealer yet, but it does sound like marketing and advertising puff in that it's a 'different car' and it's own QA processes. I'm waiting to see the Blackline or TRD release before making my mind on which to get.
toijin is offline   Reply With Quote