Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #54
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
do all that crap to simulate the real thing....why not just....use the real thing instead?
Are you asking me why the world is transitioning to EVs???

All I am saying is that when that happens, there will be opportunities to create character with EVs. The vast majority of people don't care, but enthusiasts will care, so these types of EVs will be the exception to the norm.

We seemed to have reached the top when it comes to ICEs. More and more manufactures are pulling back from the horsepower wars and focusing on more than just raw performance; they are focusing on feeling, sound, etc. Koenigsegg says they are no longer working on top speed. Gordon Murray comes out with a lightweight, high-revving, NA car. Chevy makes a Z06 with a flat-plane, NA engine for character, sound and emotion. Porsche released the touring GT3. I could go on. Performance is there too, but that isn't what they are marketing. Why? Because a full-sized electric sedan is faster 0-60 and to the quarter mile. A gear-less, heavy EV will troll most sporty vehicles. The future of EVs will just see such performance be much more common place. There seems to be a small resurgence in manual transmissions, in NA powertrains, in high revving, etc, so I think the future will have the masses in EVs, and I think enthusiasts will accept a reduction in range and in performance in order to have an EV that is lighter and that imitates ICEs. Performance is relative throughout history; an economy car today will blow past many sporty cars of the past, but the constant is their character, so imitating that character will be the selling point.