View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #23
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have had no luck

I looked for the Magic Wand and only source that I found was through Aliexpress which indicated there were 2 versions being 1: Magic Wand and 2: Magic Wand II which seems to accommodate additional versions of chips. Could not see if they sold both and had never ordered from Aliexpress before.

I started looking at other "lower end" programmers in the sub $200 range and could never see any that confirmed Scion FRS in their list of compatible vehicles. Also can not find any source indicating exactly what chip is used for the FRS. Toyota G / Subaru G ???

I contacted a large locksmith in my area which indicates to have an automotive division and promotes being able to program all immobilizers keys even if all have been lost. Called and explained I was wanting a chip key programmed which I would supply and specified 2013 FRS. They stated no problem and charge would be $35 to plug into vehicle and an additional $100 if they could program with no promises unless they provided the key. Drove down and they acted skeptical about being able to perform the task
After they received my $35 "attempt" payment, they just tried to clone my working OEM key saying their tool would not copy the code. They were using a Xhorse brand VVDI key tool which looks to be of typical professional grade equipment. I inquired if they could do so via the OBD2 port and they only stated "it is a closed system and only chance would to be to remove a chip from the ECU and program it directly which we can not do"

I have seen a couple videos where they program via the OBD2 port with very expensive professional programmers. I noticed they refer to "tokens" so to utilize a pass code generator like you mentioned. I also saw this video where it looks like Techstream can be used but perhaps it is going online and working with Techstreams website to do this function like you also mentioned.... not certain

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_aHtvhhRk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_aHtvhhRk[/ame]

I thought I would experiment with techstream today and as soon as i started to connect to the vehicle, a window popped up saying my version of Techstream was outdated as of Dec 2018 and I needed to log in to upgrade ..... of course I am using an ebay obtained copy. Just now jumped on ebay and purchased what is stated to be the latest 3/2019 version. Seller promotes he will also provide service for one "Pass-Code Calculation" if buyer provides their VIN. I will see if the seller knows if this is what would be needed to use Techstream for immobilizer key programming ....

Lastly, i stopped by a local Toyota dealership and ordered an OEM valet key. Talked with a kid there and told him my experience with the automotive locksmith. He was very informative in saying all they "dealerships" use is Techstream when programming keys. Hoping to have them program with me acting the part of the curious old man who harmlessly want's to see the process done

I will also report any new findings
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote