View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaftos View Post
This is correct, I do have a 2017 860. I've been told about drop-in filters as there's no point in getting a whole new CAI. I've heard about catbacks, but what does it do for performance? Thanks for the reply.
A catback won't do too much for power gains, but it's, in my opinion, a necessary step to accomplish before you do a header. A catback might net you a couple hp, I know that Toyota advertised 10hp for the TRD CAI + catback a couple years back, but mostly the catback will get rid of the weak Camry/Impreza sounding stock exhaust note.

A drop-in filter definitely sounds like the way to go since most tuners say the stock airbox is actually the best option for this car, it's just that the stock filter is garbage.

A catback will increase exhaust flow to get you ready to put a header on, but just note that with a header you'll likely need a tune but I've seen some people put a header on without ever actually getting an engine light, and as far as I know, there are no tunes for 2017s quite yet. Until we get tunes, I'm not doing my header so I'll focus on other things like better wheels and tires, some aesthetic stuff like carbon fiber replacement shift trim and door handles as well as carbon fiber hood struts to delete the prop rod.

You could also replace the front and overpipe but I've heard that it's essentially useless except for sound, I had a guy at my work (I work at a Subaru), with a BRZ go with a catless Borla header, catless Borla front and overpipe, and Borla catback and it was extremely obnoxious, he ended up reverting the front and overpipe back to stock and it sounded much more controlled which still sounding mean, but not obnoxiously loud.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote