View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #39
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd like to add a couple of things. To give some perspective, while I am new to the FT86 platform, I am far from new to tuning and much of it has been high performance high boost 4 cylinder engines of Japanese origin.

To the BC person who is using Chevron on their boosted engine, switch to Shell 91 Vpower Nitro+ Has to be the Nitro+ one. For a few years now, many of us out in BC with boosted tuned cars have noticed less timing being pulled, less knocksums etc with this fuel. Replicated at will over years on many different platforms. Datalogs and live data to back it up, not just butt dynos.

And secondly, in no way is water/methanol injection dangerous or "bad" for the engine in and of itself. If you don't stay on top of it, and run out of juice, you can damage the engine if you still romp on it because now it will knock like crazy. I have run a 3 nozzle methanol water injection system for over a decade on a daily driver and on a weekend warrior with zero problems except for a small leak and running out of fluid a couple of times. Both are no problem if you are paying attention. Hell the leak even happened on the dyno. We just noted it and kept going, monitoring knock and timing of course and keeping the tank full.

Have a reliable way to monitor knock. Live if possible. I had converted the cars stock boost gauge into a knocksum gauge so it was a dead giveaway if something was wrong.

Don't be scared of a good methanol/water injection setup. It also cleans valves and piston tops and keeps cats healthy. My emissions testing numbers were always extremely good. many 0.00 results.

If I can find a small enough pump, I will probably do it on my BRZ as well. E85 isn't available to my area and I don't like the lower energy content of alcohol for a daily driver either. Knowing how octane dependent these engine are, I suspect E85 type gains could be had with a simple methanol/water injection system.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote