View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Artxjr

Drives: 2018 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinejunky View Post
People are gonna tell you to search as this has been covered multiple times but i'll bite.

You don't necessarily "need" the tune honestly, but is highly recommended. You will most likely get a CEL, but thats due to the fact that you will be running catless.

Now as far as tuning the ECU, I'm most likely wrong but afaik you have three options, tactrix, oft and ecutek. Ecutek will be the easiest for you since you're not really interested in messing with maps yourself. Since you said you're going through a local tuner, buy an ecutek license which is like $300 bucks on its own, tune is most likely a seperate fee from your shop of choice so talk to them about pricing. No need to buy the cable since your tuner will most likely have that in shop. I don't have experience with the other two as I went with the ecutek and a tune from CSG.

From the looks of it an OFT is like, $500 bucks shipped online (?) and with that you can flash "off the shelf" tunes which would be fine, but personally i'd rather have an ecutek where the tune is made specifically for your car.

So where do I buy this "ECUTEK license" ? I didn't know I had to buy something like this. Is this mandatory?
Artxjr is offline   Reply With Quote