Old 09-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #19
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I am asking myself the same thing? Not sure why the HKS coilovers have gotten so popular for this platform recently.
The HKS coils, for when they were released, punched above their weight for a streetable, track capable coilover designed for the 86 platform, especially at a time when there weren't many options yet. I got mine with 1 year of use and 25000 kms on them for $1000 CAD and got 4 years and 50000 kms out of them myself before I had any serious problems, and the problems followed not 1 but 2 serious accidents. I'm not in any position to blame the coils or HKS for this although I admit I'm disappointed that they are not serviceable when the only thing wrong is the lower mount.

Now that the 86 platform has matured, I believe that there are more compelling offerings in the same range as what HKS is offering.

Regarding the products I listed, they were just the ones I found that ticked the boxes I need and I know people personally who are running them without complaint. My car still needs transmission work so I'm probably not going to be in a position to buy anything until next year either way. I actually think the RCE SS1 are extremely compelling though and will keep them in mind when I am preparing to upgrade again.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-18-2020)