View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #12
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
A long term update for those interested.

Nearly 3 years and 40000kms later, I'm still running these coilovers and they're doing fine. I mentioned I got them used from a forum member but I don't think I ever mentioned that he sold them to me with around 25000kms on them already so they have a total of ~65000kms on them and tons of abuse during my ownership including but not limited to: Daily driving for ~3 years on terrible Canadian roads including 2 and a half Canadian winters. An average of 4 track days and 40 autocross runs per year. Both a front end AND a separate rear end collision. Full disclosure, the front end collision was on the passenger side and I've been experiencing spring bind on that side since then. I suspect the thrust bearing took damage in the hit but it's just a popping noise and it doesn't affect the handling or operation of the car at all.

In terms of how they have held up: I set the preload and ride-height as mentioned in the original post and other than dampening adjustments based on what I'm doing, these haven't been touched since. Operationally, these are still running fine. No oil leaks and the ride still feels firm and controlled. There is a layer of surface rust on the threads which I'm confident a suitable solvent could remove but I'm not going to bother as it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. No other rust to speak of.

I'm very happy with them after 3 years of ownership although I am a bit concerned when it comes time for a rebuild which I suspect will be sooner rather than later, considering their age and how I (ab)use them. I confirmed that HKS USA will no longer rebuild their suspension about 2 years ago. I was told I could either send the suspension to HKS Japan or I could try to find an independent suspension service centre that will work on them. I confirmed this situation with Scott at HKS maybe 2 years ago now so it's possible it has changed now but there doesn't appear to be any new information on their site.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide if they want to get a set of these.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Swisher Seattle (10-05-2022)