View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #33
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
Wireless tuning could be dangerous, but if the tunes were downloaded on the tablet, and then wirelessly transferred to the dongle, then the tablet really becomes just the display and data download device, much like my laptop that I wirelessly receive the tunes through now. The downloaded tunes then would reside on the dongle for upload to my the ECU. The weakest part of the OFT is the display.

It would be net to figure out how to integrate OFT with a current app like Dash Command or Torque. The OFT hardware would then look like an ELM327 that could stay plugged in. All the OFT brains would be in the little box plugged into the OBD II.

John
While I understand your idea in concept, it seems what your asking for adds much complexity (wifi on both devices, storage on the dongle, battery on the tablet) which would quite possibly add significantly to the cost and the only benefit would be the elimination of wires. If they were to develop an app and move to just a dongle and you use a android/iOS tablet then you add additional hardware that some would have to buy. One of the biggest selling points of the OFT is the cheap entry price and the value of what you actually get for that price.

I agree that it would be nice for those of us that already have tablets and the convenience of being able to utilize them instead of the OFT itself so one wouldn't have to swap out devices to switch between torque and tuning but at the price that such a device would command would most likely put it out of the bargain category and into a more premium market. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I imagine the time and effort it would take to develop such a device could be better spent bettering the current device.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote