View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
alvarompl

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB with golden wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
I know its an old thread. I just wanted to add a piece of useful info in case anyone else is going down this path.

So the idea is you can use a set of fog lights with a dash switch and take advantage of the cars built in wiring, fuses, and relay. You get the proper function of the fogs being only on during low beam headlights. Which is fine with me and I live in a state where annual "safety" inspections check for this sort of thing. No need to buy and install a different light stalk on the column.
Wiuth the Winjet kit, some connectors and shrink tubing, I have about $60 in this.

I bought the set of cheap WinJets that comes with the harness and switch.
I followed the info from OP @Wizardhat and whats shown in the factory install instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-18130inst.pdf. Installed the lights and switch. Hacked the harness for only what was needed for those. Then discovered the confusion for what the wiring is for the switch to the OE connector. After some testing with a meter, this is what works.

OE Wire colors to the winjet switch harness colors (in order of connector since there are two reds):
Blk/Yellow (ground) = Blk
Blk/White (illumination) = Red
White (Ign Pwr) = Yellow
Purple (Relay Pwr) = Red

So other switches can use different colors of course but at least you know what the OE wires are.
I also discovered that the illumination works opposite of the rest of the dash. I confirmed this is coming from the voltage changes in the blk/white wire. Turn up the brightness and the voltage drops. No idea why it would be like that.
Hi, I followed your directions (thank you by the way!) and after connecting everything, the dimmer and switch illumination won’t work and the fog lights are always on with low lights and switch won’t turn them off. Also the dials for ac lights stoped working… any ideas? I have been looking everywhere and can’t figure this one out…

Update:

Got it fixed. It was a blown fuse in the box under the steering wheel. Changed the fuse and everything was working perfect.

Last edited by alvarompl; 12-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.
alvarompl is offline   Reply With Quote