Old 11-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #337
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like I said before I like subtle panel lines more that deep ones. Since most of what I do is military deep lines just don't look right. I sometimes even fill lines that are too trench like on aircraft.

For panel lines and highlighting detail I exclusively use an invention of my own. I mix some black acrylic painters paint (the kind in a tube) with Future acrylic floor wax until it is just barely translucent. I then cover the whole model with this mix. The self leveling properties of the Future make it settle into panel lines and around detail. The raised surfaces only take on a slight tint that can be wiped off using a cloth dipped in clean Future if you want. I am usually looking for a weathered surface so I make it streaky instead. It works very very well if decals are going on and I just spray it clear flat to get rid of the gloss. I have never ever seen this method in any of my magazines or online but it is extremely effective.

You can really see the effect with the Bandai kits since they have massive detail that just disappears in monochrome paint.

Nice work, amazing skill to bring out so much detail.. Was it Alien that kick-started the worn, dirty and used spaceship look? Pre-Alien all white and shiny, post Alien all dark and dirty..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote