View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #31
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
That will be hard. NA these cars start to drop off pretty hard at 6900rpm. 155wtq at 6900rpm is 203whp about the highest i've seen possible so far.

Now if you could drag that out another 600rpm and still make 155wtq but at 7500rpm it would be 221whp. I think the only way to keep power up that high would be ITBs or maybe shorter runners on intake manfiold, and a ace150 header, together i could see those holding power to maybe 7200rpm or 212whp. Then toss in cams and some oversized valves and you could probably hold power to 7500rpm and make 220whp. to go any higher you would need more displacement I.E. stroker kit.
No doubt it won't be easy, but if he can figure out a way to make the same 155-150 WTQ at 8,000 rpm, well that gets us in the ballpark of ~228-236 WHP. The way I read this: "The plans are to increase the NA power above what the current limits with the current level of parts in the market." makes it seem like it likely won't only utilize parts that are already on the market (ITB's, existing intake manifolds) and instead might focus on other aspects of allowing the engine to rev out while not losing steam. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
It's part of boosting an engine with 12.5 : 1 static compression I think? There's no room for error under boost. It goes lean for whatever reason - and all of a sudden a rod or two quits the team in dramatic fashion.

I've got a pretty robust cooling setup as is with legit math-ed out ducting. Temps are in check NA, but with boost, I'd have to re-work some of it for sure.
Yeah agreed. I honestly think it's a combination of a bunch of factors like thin cast connecting rods, high compression cast pistons, fairly primitive ECU architecture, and rather poor oiling ability. It just adds up to a lot of stock and even built motors going boom real quick.