Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #14063
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
I am not expecting the most fastest thing in the world, but I want it to multi-task.

This is a good learning experience for me because I figured 4Gb of RAM was plenty. My old machine had only 2Gb. I gather that I won't be able to run Windows XP anymore. These newer operating systems require a bunch more RAM, huh?

My other concern is that even though it's got the resolution, it's still an integrated graphics card whereas my prior laptop had a standalone (albeit a very small one with only 512mb dedicated memory). Maybe I am expecting too much from the $500-600 price point and should bump up to something like this: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n56dpdh11-p-4979.html 15" screen, better resolution, 2Gb dedicated graphics. Question marks: AMD processor? Coming from Windows XP, is it an easier transition to 7 or 8?

Try to stick with windows 7, windows 8 is no bueno if your not ready for change and want something to just work.

If you want value for money I would look at dell, they seem to have the best deals for what you get, especially at dell outlet. Yea at minimum 4gb preferred is 8gb

PS never heard of xotic pc I'd always buy from a manufacturer or someone like amazon than a 3rd party retailer like them.