Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
struts bar is really good when you hard park at the local car meet with your hood open to show off the engine bay, not sure if it actually made a noticeable difference in handling.
Uh-oh. I am going to open a subject that has already been done to death but you know, because internet.

I made fun of the rear strut bar BUT the front strut bar is a different matter. Myself and many others have commented on a marked difference in feel after having a front strut bar fitted.

This post sums it up well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Hi,

I recently received my GS bar, and was keen to see the difference this modification would bring to the feel of the car. With the help of my brother we came up with a homegrown blind test. (Both my brother and I have science backgrounds and could be fairly accused of suffering from mild OCD ).

The test was this, done five times.

A. My brother would toss a coin, heads the bar is installed, tails not.
B. In either case, step A would take fifteen minutes.
C. I am not in the garage and cannot hear what he is doing
D. My brother when finished step A and B would then pack up the tools, toot the horn and leave the garage.
E. I would take the car for a fifteen minute drive. Same circuit each time, I would note down whether I thought the bar was in or out.
F. When I returned, I would signal with the horn, leave the garage without crossing paths with my brother
G. At the end of five tests, we compared the results.

My brother had out, in, in, out, in.

I had out, in, in, out, in.

I don't want to scare anyone with how OCD I am, but the chances of me guessing correctly this sequence is one in thirty two, or a little over three percent.

Apart from having an enjoyable afternoon spent with my brother having some fun with cars, which we both have keen interests in, I am happily convinced this modification does make a difference for me.

For me it was clear very early in each drive whether the bar was in or not. The noise from bumps was subdued, the steering felt tighter and sharper and the car felt stiffer. I know these are all seat of the pants observations and hard to measure, all I can say is that for me I noticed differences that I liked and when I noticed these differences, it lined up with the bar being in.

So for what it's worth, I am satisfied that the bar makes a difference for me, which I very much like.

Ralph.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote