Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The faster ram will be helpful in some rare situations where you're actually memory bandwidth limited. Are you using an IGPU? That's mainly the kind of situation I'm talking about. Otherwise there will be little to no performance improvement. If your CPU is fast enough to feed your GPU, and your hard drive is fast enough to feed your CPU, you'll be fine.
No IGPU. Going to have a 2080 Ti. I've done some more reading, and it sounds like faster RAM is useful for benchmarks, and some specific things, but generally speaking, isn't going to make a very meaningful difference...?

In the process of researching, I also discovered that Corsair's Dominator series is really for people who will be overclocking the shit out of things, and want exceptionally stable RAM. I don't plan to do any overclocking, and so it sounds like the cheaper Vengeance RAM would be more appropriate for me. Given that, and given that all-out speed apparently isn't a HUGE issue, what about something like this? The timings are *relatively* low, and it also doubles my RAM, in order to throw @Cole a bone... all while actually being slightly cheaper than the 16 Gb of Dominator RAM I had previously selected.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...2GX4M2C3333C16

(For the record, I'm sticking with Corsair because I have no desire to install yet another piece of software just to play with colors on my RAM sticks, lol. Didn't even know about this RGB craze until I got back into this stuff a month ago. I'd actually be perfectly happy with NON-RGB RAM, but RGB doesn't seem to cost much more these days, so f**k it, lol. Otherwise, I'd probably be looking at other brands, such as G.Skill, which I remember I used to use almost exclusively back in the day.)

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote