Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.86 View Post
I got Tein Mono Sports coilovers, once I find a good shop that can install them and do corner balancing followed by an alignment, is there a specific set-up I should ask for ? I am looking for a street focused set-up with spirited driving and minimal track sessions a year. I've heard I should have more of a drop in the front, and as well as from others to have more of a drop in the rear, and some that say equal drop on front and rear. I'm a noob in customizable coils and am just wondering what's a good set-up to ask for for what I'm looking for. Thanks in advanced.
If you're talking to a good suspension shop that knows these cars, they'll want to know what kind of tires you use, what type of driving you do, any other suspension mods, and so on. A really good shop will properly set bump vs droop travel on your coilovers since they have separate ride height and preload adjustability.

In terms of drop, a 1 inch drop front and rear is a safe place to start. I personally would destroy my bumper with a -1.5 inch drop but that isn't necessarily better from a handling standpoint anyway.

For damper settings, start soft and work your way up. Impossible to say from here which damper clicks will be best for you but in general most people are too stiff. Some compliance is good even on track. Learn what the clicks do and don't change (for example, stiffer damper settings do NOT mean less mid-corner body roll).

An completely optimized alignment depends on your tire choice and ideally for a track car is dialed in with testing and tire temp probes. Probably not what you need, so ball park for a fun backroads street car is 0 toe all around (or a tiny bit of rear toe in), -2.0 degrees camber front and -1.75 degrees camber rear. Don't worry about anything else.

The Tein manual might give a good starting point for damper settings. Like timurrrrrr said, revisit everything in a few months and evaluate how it feels. Take notes too.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote