View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
FinallyGot

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I meant the lesson in earnest. I prioritized other things in my life over cars even though I have always been an enthusiast, and it set me up in the financial position to really get to enjoy this hobby. I've been able to watch Le Mans in person, dump a decently sized yearly budget into mods and project cars, and go from playing Forza and wishing to actually getting on track on a regular basis and it being something I can afford.

Cars are a very expensive hobby, but when you're young and in school is probably not the time to indulge in expensive hobbies. My good planning had me buy a house at 25 and now at 35 I can do more or less whatever I want. Sure, it's not as much fun at the time, but it can be a sort of fun to engross yourself in other interests or focus on aspects which don't have such a high cost (for instance learning the mechanical engineering behind racing and learning useful skills like fabrication/welding).

Don't make the mistake I've seen many of my fellow enthusiasts make and blow what little extra money you have on car modifications every time your account balance ticks up. That's a recipe for driving barely running shitboxes and still being relegated to hardparking at parking lot meets well into your 30s. People like to joke the only way to afford properly modifying cars is to be a drug dealer, but the real answer is to focus on your schooling and get a good professional job and be smart with your money and then you can budget your hobbies.
Hell yeah, I feel you man. This would be my second mod aside from coils. I'll be done for a while until I graduate lmao.
FinallyGot is offline   Reply With Quote