View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #200
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drain oil and coolant, evacuate the AC, pull the engine, remove the accessories, pull the manifold, remove the harnesses and coolant lines, remove the timing cover and clean up all the packing material, pull the timing chains, remove the valve covers and clean the packing, remove the cam subassemblies and clean the packing, remove the heads and clean the surfaces, replace the springs, put it back together and reapply the packing for the cam subassemblies, check the valve clearance, pull it back apart and clean the packing again, replace shims and then reapply the packing, reapply packing for the valve covers, reinstall the timing chains, reapply packing and install timing cover, install accessories, reinstall the engine, recharge the AC, refill oil and coolant.

I'm recalling off the top of my head and obviously leaving out a lot of detail. But it's a lot of work.

On an inline 4 you could do this job without pulling the engine, removing accessories or cleaning up packing seal that is used all over the place. When I replaced my short block I spent at least 10 hours (spread over 2 weeks) simply cleaning packing seal off the pans, cam assemblies, cam endplate, HP fuel pump and timing cover.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DandoX (11-02-2018), Trap63 (11-02-2018)