View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
They have to do things accordingly to allow it to be priced higher than the Scion I would assume, for the sake of not competing in price.

If both are priced the same within $1k a lot of brand nazis with go with the Subaru regardless if it weighed 100# more, I know a few hand full of people that would.
why? the pontiac vibe and toyota matrix coexisted. both were similarly priced. it makes absolutely NO business sense to sell the car at a higher price than it needs. you can add features as packages but the base price will be as low as you can go for marketing reasons.

i still contend that they will differ only in styling and minute features. like the DSMs of yore, its up to the individual companies to style and market the car without expressly competing with each other. people that think the subaru version may have a turbo STI model to "one up" the toyota version are just hoping and praying. there very well could be agreements that neither company come out with a "better" version of the other car so as not to compete with each other. things like suspension tuning, sure. STI package can have better suspension and brakes. something as significant as a turbo engine? now that's stretching it... would you, as toyota, allow subaru to one up you on a joint venture? its not as if toyota is buying a subaru developed chassis. its a joint venture. you cant have one version better than the other. it just doesnt work like that.

look at the DSM cars and that's what you're gonna get. virtual twins underneath with unique, company styling marketed in their own way. toyota will go with the "hey we're sporty" angle while subaru will go with the "cheap sports car, we can do RWD too!" angle...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote