Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #98
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Vortech and Jackson racing are both claiming ~300 at the crank with an off the shelf tune, EcoBoost Mustang claiming 310 with an additional 800 lbs along with it.

I'll eat my words if there's a car that was blown up with an off the shelf tune but I've been looking for a few months now and haven't seen one, all the dead ones are running custom tunes from what I can tell.

I'll be doing it in probably 2-3 years after I master the handling of the car and see what reliability looks like as we get a good sample of cars into 100k miles both with and without FI.

Timeframe probably has a lot to do with it, if you're looking to trade before summer's out what I say here probably won't convince you, but if you're looking at trading in 2-3 years we should have some good data on FI+stock block reliability.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56331
It's not necessarily only to do with power. I like the whole package. My coworker also has the Performance Package on his, so he has Recaros, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, better tires, the whole nine yards. Not sure if that's available on the Ecoboost, but I wont be buying until around this time next year, soonest.

I don't know what kinds of tuning solutions are available for the Ecoboost either. I'm hoping that it's something like with the VW GTI, where a new flash will give you a bunch more power for cheap, and I'd do that if I felt the need.

And to dive in a little more on another reason I'd like to stay away from FI with the FR-S, the fucking exchange rate. The vortech (at 6010.99 USD) works out to 7781.80 CAD and the JRSC (at 4995 USD) works out to 6468.91 CAD. That is a ridiculous sum of money. 1/4 of the cars worth...

I could trade my car in, and (hypothetically, if I was ready to put that kind of cash as a down payment) for a Mustang right now, assuming my FR-S has a trade value of 15,000 and I do a down payment of 6500 (Cheapest FI option) my monthly payment would be $357 for a 36 month finance. I'd much rather do that, than fuck around with boosting this bitch.

Trust me, Strat, I get what you're saying, but for me, the numbers just don't add up. And, I know that both those SC kits are *relatively* safe (only because there's a hundred variables, and who knows what MAY go wrong), but having boost from the factory puts my mind at ease way more than adding it on aftermarket
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-29-2015)