Old 11-04-2021, 12:20 AM   #15
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesgreenlights View Post
Yes, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all I have to learn. Although I had hoped to get this done right a way I'm finding that, like anything else, there is a learning curve and this one might take a little time.

My immediate concern is to find a set of 3.5" or 4" coaxial speakers for the back seat as well as a sub amp for about $100 each. I don't have an enclosed garage so I might end up spending the winter making my way along the learning curve. I'd much prefer to get it done quickly and well. We'll see.

It occurred to me that the center console might provide an easy "tunnel" to the front dash. So I'll mark this problem as solved until proven otherwise.

AudioControl checked in by pointing out that the HU keys off the factory amp so the white/grey wires should be prioritized over the green/purple wires. According to AudioControl support, failure to use the white/grey wires could result in the HU volume control not working. See below reply to soundman98 for full details.

I plan to search the web tonight for a set of 4" coaxials that will neither break the bank nor the outstanding sound I expect from the Sony es speakers. I'll do the same for a sub amp so I'll mark this as question one.

1. Is it possible to buy a sub amp for about $100 that would work well with an AudioControl D-6.1200 amp and, if so, what is it?

2. Is it possible to retain the surround sound offered by the factory stereo by installing either 3.5" or 4" coaxials that will uphold the high standard set by the Sony XS 162es component speakers?

Answer #1) check out Williston Audio Labs YouTube channel here:

https://m.youtube.com/c/bigdwiz/videos

Big D's main topic is amplifier dynos and he usually shows you the purchase price of the amp that he's testing. He's done A LOT of them, so be prepared to spend some time watching.

Right off the top of my head though, I can't think of an amp for $100 that will compliment the Audio Control amp that you've already got. You would probably need between 300 to 500 watts RMS of subwoofer power to match your other speakers.

Answer #2) There are so many speaker manufacturers out there, I'm sure you should be able to find a coaxial that will work in the rear. However, I would suggest not purchasing a coaxial but rather a midrange-only driver. Let your front Sony separates create your front stage and let the rears be your rear fill. The front speakers are the most important. Here's a suggestion, amplify the stock rear speakers for the time being, get them time aligned and equalized through the Audio Control DSP amp, THEN if you don't like how it sounds, or if they can't keep up with your Sony's, find a replacement. I will end this answer with a question: When you go to a concert, do you stand and listen with your back to the band?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
blueskiesgreenlights (12-08-2021), soundman98 (11-04-2021)