Old 06-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #25
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
I like working from home. If a work can be done remotely, why all that waste of time and money on a commute? Overloading the roads with worthless traffic, etc. About not being effective is a bullshit. You can reach out to anyone via whatever chat system you have. Sometimes even faster that walking all the way to the other end of the office/other floor. Need to show something specific? Screen share. And don't get me started on that obnoxious office bathrooms.

You're more productive if you're comfortable. If someone likes sitting in the office that's fine, just don't enforce this BS on other people. There has to be a choice.
Honestly this is an extremely biased opinion.

While I don't disagree on the commute, commuting (assuming public transportation) can have its benefits too. It gives you an hour or so of time where you can rest/do a crossword/etc. and unwind (if you choose to work during your commute in addition to your normal hours then that's not very smart).

We use Slack, most of my teammates ignore it. Not only that, but random people from elsewhere in the company spam us a lot at times for inconsequential things. There's nothing like being able to quickly glance at your teammate to see how focused they are, see if you can quickly mention to them that you'd like to pair on or discuss something, etc. At the office I could even close Slack and completely ignore the idiots and still speak to my teammates in person.

Plus on conference calls even with "perfect" Internet connections, there's always some latency, which results in you pausing to let someone speak, they don't speak right away and the latency delays their speech even more, so you start speaking again because it seems like they won't. And then you wind up speaking over them or vice versa.

Or people's mics are TERRIBLE and their BT connections keep dropping out (my boss only uses BT headphones and they constantly die or have a bunch of interference). Two of my teammates only mumble when they talk, so their mics can't capture their voice very well. Etc etc.

And as far as bathrooms, that sucks for you man but I've worked in.. 5 separate locations now over the past 5 years? No issues with any of the bathrooms. All very clean and well-stocked with necessary TP.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2021), Spuds (06-13-2021)