Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Hmmm...i have had this on my mind also. I personally thought maybe the 2016 would be the last model year, and if they were to keep making them there would be a exterior refresh for 2017 also as funwheeldrive mentioned.

Personally, i feel

100% they will discontinue this car by 2020
50% chance they will discontinue it in 2018....really depends though....lately, a lot of them are getting harder and harder to sell since almost everyone who wanted on has bought one.
I think there is no such thing as "everyone who wanted one has bought one". Maybe everybody that followed it through development has but not everyone. I didn't even know they existed until I was in the dealership to look at Tcs last year. There are plenty of people out there that still don't know they want one, are saving for one, will get a raise and can afford one, will get their license., etc that can and will buy. It isn't like there was a cut off point where everybody that wanted could or would buy. New car buyers are created every single day.
We get trapped into thinking that everybody that buys these are enthusiasts but the reality is that for every fanboy there are 50 or so "average" people that bought or will buy one.
Unfortunately it is the "average" buyer that may keep the car alive but kill it as we know it at the same time. As they try to widen the market they will make more and more drastic changes. These changes will probably not be the high hp more powerful ones that the enthusiasts want but more the gadget filled, easy to drive DD that the masses will buy. We have already seen this trend start with the suspension changes in the 15 and the tech goodies in the special editions and this fouls escalate as they advance the design. The model it's self could go on for 20 more years but in the next couple it could change to something we enthusiasts may not even call a twin.
Just look at the history of the Mustang. The base trim went from econobox to sports car to luxury coupe to sports car to econobox to sports car to luxury coupe and now back to sports car. Not saying that the twins will have the longevity of the Musatng just demonstrating how the manufactures will try to meet the majority of the buyers wants and needs.
8R6 (08-31-2015), funwheeldrive (08-30-2015), Packofcrows (08-30-2015), raven1231 (08-30-2015), sgtcarrot (08-30-2015), strat61caster (08-30-2015)