BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Ordered new tires today, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40/17. $840 installed at Auto Innovations in Milpitas.

The GT Radial Champiro SX2 tires I have on now still have good tread depth, but they have a date code of June 2013. They were purchased and installed in October of 2017. So, Elite Performance in Burlingame sold me tires that were already 4+ years old.

The PS4S is a great street tire, I think you'll really like them since you mostly commute and do canyon runs. I think they have a slightly softer sidewall than the Bridgestones and Hankooks I've had in the past, but they definitely help improve comfort and reduce noise. They are definitely way too soft for track duty, as I unfortunately found out (got a flat at the track, so had to switch to the PS4S or go home). The shoulders were annihilated after one 20 min session...

Too bad about Elite, I think they do decent work, but that is one of the main reasons I only buy tires from reputable online retailers. Most shops that stock tires don't get enough product turn over, so what stock they do keep just sit there.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote