View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #19
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Out of curiosity if your only complaint was a little lack of power in the FR-S why didn't you slap on a low maintenance, low boost supercharger?

Was it that you didn't want to wrench on the FR-S? Or that you didn't want a bit the added maintenance? Was it a bit too much money?

All good reasons but, kind of counter productive if your next step is buying an older project car that will require more wrenching, more money and more maintenance.

(Just thinking out loud.)
I'm assuming this is directed to me? I never mentioned anything about lack of power, I've always been fine with the stock FR-S power level (I'm one of those guys). I was talking about speed of its chassis responsiveness - it's reflexes... It's a stable, pretty safely setup chassis (and am talking about the very first two years more tail happy suspension setup before it was neutered some from '15 onwards...) I prefer just a little bit quicker rotating than the '13 FR-S.

Most everything I did to the FR-S was to increase it's responsiveness... solid aluminum steering bushings, stiff motor/transmission mounts, lighter 17x7.5 wheels with smaller 205/45-17 tires, much lighter custom center exit exhaust, Winmax W3 pads. If I kept the FR-S would have wanted to go racing flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, and Essex Sprint front brake setup along with finally upgrading from stock suspension (to Bilstein B6 dampers and RSR springs [because one of the few spring sets that keep really close to the original F/R balance along with minimal lowering amount]) as it was starting to get a little tired at 63k miles. I didn't really want to get rid of my FR-S at all, but did so to get out of debt because it was the quickest, easiest way to do so. It was the logical thing to do... but not something I wanted to do.

I don't really do forced induction... simply have a thing for quick revving N/A motors in a light chassis that has good reflexes. Was into Honda's for the longest time, before they went away from double wishbone suspension setup and started getting fatter and sloppier. Mainly concentrate on removing weight and quickening the responsiveness of the chassis. The closer can get it to a racing kart in responsiveness the more I like it. Was not actually looking to get the MR2, it just happened and I went with it...because couldn't say no to this deal. Was really just looking to get a couple thousand dollar beater vehicle with no ABS, no traction/stability system, and fully mechanical inputs... because after selling the FR-S was one of the first time ever since driving that I only had a single vehicle... and I really don't like only having 1 vehicle.

Mostly been a truck + fun car kind of vehicle owner so started looking for cheap fun cars. The MR2 just happened to be the right car at the right time for the right price. I don't need speed or power to enjoy a car - I do need it to react quickly and precisely to inputs though... the more telepathic and lightning quick it's responsiveness the more I'll like it, though would be nice to have a good sense of planted stability versus skittishness. That's kind of where the FR-S rides the line - a responsive, quick chassis but with good stability and planted feel after a little bit of work put into it.
Kiske (07-21-2020), why? (08-01-2020)