View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #19
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE: okay after a long drive, I can confidently say the crazy knocking sound is caused by the rough cold idle. Once the engine is hot, there are no crazy noises, even at idle. The only problem so far is a nasty gurgling rasp that is noticeable on acceleration, especially from 3K rpm onwards, but that may be due to the trans support, as it seems to come from directly below the trans tunnel. I put my back seats up and that helped the noise and I have to say, noises aside, the effect is very nice.

All those noises that we get new threads on from new owners once in a while with the title "does this sound normal?" are now amplified so the car sounds very much like a racecar. There is a bit of shudder on takeoff, but once warmed up, there is only a small increase in silent vibration felt at the pedals.

Go for them if on the fence, just keep in mind they're not as quiet as some reviews made them out to be. Then again, these are the new updated mounts so who knows if the change made them stiffer. Also, my combination of mods could be exacerbating the effects.

As for why the racket is so unbearable when the engine is cold, I've read on this website posts from other users saying that the engine runs rich when cold, which could be contributing to the rough idle, causing all kinds of clattery when the mounts are introduced. Whether a tune and/or Fluidampr might mitigate this are both options I'm willing to explore.

Thanks for the replies!