Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #17
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I'm not so sure about that. The LFA and Carrera GT were also all-carbon-fiber cars with fast revving and great sounding engines, and people love them for that reason. They weren't on as extreme of a diet and didn't have the aero of the T50, but the drivetrain alone has made them collector items. I honestly feel like the market for very high revving engines is bigger than manufacturers are taking advantage of. S2000 prices are crazy high for example.

When you only produce a few hundred cars at an astronomical price, it's pretty easy to find a market if only a few features stand out. I do agree that right now is a good time, since NA cars are getting rare.
In general, I agree with you that people will always love this type of car because it is timeless and pure, and the people that can afford these types of cars, will buy whatever is out there to show off, but that is the thing, showing off might be the flashy car, or the car with the latest tech, or the car with the biggest engine, but this car is like the hipster version of a hypercar--analog, light weight, understated design (relative to the field of hypercars), may not break any records but satisfies the purists sensations, etc., which may not show off as well. Then again, anything with Gordon Murray's name on it is capable of being shown off.

I think what I meant to say, since you brought up the example of the LFA, is that the T50 would have been received like the LFA, which was overshadowed by the similar arrival of the GTR. Like the LFA, it would have been a great car, but too little too late. While the specs are amazing in general, the car might have blended into the Zondas, Koenigseggs, Buggattis, La Ferrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918, etc. Even the racing success of the Ford GT may have overshadowed another hypercar. I don't think any of these cars really compare to the T50, but I don't know if the audience would have been as receptive of the T50 as they are right now. It might have been a thing where people, "oh well that is cool, but look, the Chiron can do 300mph. What can the T50 do?" With the last batch of hypercars expiring their hybrid platforms or evolving into things like the Valkyrie, or with the last batch of hypercars giving up on the top speed record, and with the current patch of hypercars like the Tesla Roadster, Lotus Evija and Rimac going all electric, it has left a gap for the future of hypercars. If top speed is no longer worth chasing; if 0-60 is looking to be crushed by everyday electric cars; if emissions keep removing high displacement V12's; then where does that leave the future of the hypercar?

Enter Gordon Murray, "Look what I made," and he crushed it with the specs. It won't be the fastest, but it will probably be the best driver's hypercar. It would always be the best hypercar, regardless of opinion, but now is the time when it will be received as the best because people are ready a hypercar like this again.