strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
One that has every seen the street or has any sort of mileage on it will not go up in value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
If high value means maintains a large percentage of original MSRP then I can see that for ultra-low mileage vehicles only.
Shenanigans, this 1970 911E was advertised as having 98k miles, WITH a rollover, so a nearly 200k mile car sold for $53k 4 days ago. A mass produced, run of the mill model at that.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-911e/

There were twice as many long hood 911's produced than Scion FR-S
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tion-data.html

Will it beat the stock market, a basic retirement savings account, or a house in a good neighborhood? Fuck no. Will you be negative accounting for running costs? Absolutely.

@Veloist I think you're right, in 20-30 years, the average well taken care of but regularly used 86 will be worth peanuts, just like 924/944, MR2's, 240sx's, RX-7's, MX-5's, 300ZX's, E30's, etc. are right now. But imo these value propositions are on a longer scale, things don't start to swing up until a car is past the 40 year old mark. Well kept NA Miata's and E36 M3's are creeping up past $10k if they have the right option package, the only way they slip back to <$5k for nice ones (like they were not too long ago) is if we have another economic meltdown.

And who knows, we could all be scraping by looking like a 2nd world country by then, or decadently basking in the utopia of our creation, frittering away millions on toys like a 'classic sports car'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
It will be illegal to drive on public roads in 30 years and probably much sooner. So it doesn't really matter. This autonomous car business will be one of those paradigm shifts.
Let me know when they finally ban horse and carriage off public roads, then we can know that in about 80 years we'll have to start worrying.

Yes autonomous cars are happening, yes they will be ubiquitous within our lifespan (the younger of us anyway), but North America is a very large continent with lots of open space to traverse and a long way to go towards giving each citizen an autonomous transportation pod, let alone even adequately maintaining the infrastructure we have today. Maybe the old 'self drivers' will not be allowed on the latest and greatest super highway or high speed lanes, but there will be plenty of open backroads until the day I die.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (03-27-2017), Cole (03-27-2017), darthpnoy1984 (03-27-2017), Frisco (03-27-2017), soulreapersteve (03-27-2017), trvth (03-29-2017), why? (03-27-2017), wireman957 (03-28-2017)