View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
no. It is a crappy hunk of metal made as cheaply as possible meant to last as long as possible and nothing else. This article really shows the issues. Basically if you drive the car normally you are never ever going to show any issues. What makes me laugh is that fluidampr actually increases vibrations above 5500 rpm over the stock, aka where a race vehicle will actually spend most of its time. Their so called "SFI" rating is done at 12,500 rpm, aka an rpm no known FA20 can actually ever hit. What this article tells you is harmonics don't exist at all for our cars. It is not something anyone has to ever worry about unless they are going to add lots power to their vehicles, and even then nothing they show actually says anything will ever actually happen. The only interesting thing is this shows that their dampr might add a couple hp, but every dyno operator will tell you that very well could be within the error factor of every dyno ever made. This article makes me even more confident anyone can do anything the hell they want with their pulley's and it isn't going to change anything that matters.
Man, do you even graph? LIke seriously. I take it you looked at the second chart, which actually shows the extent of the actual vibrations, hence they recommend to look at the smoothness of the damping capabilities.
"Second order comparison between the OEM tuned elastomer damper and Fluidampr performance damper. The dominant second order represents the firing order in four-cylinder, four stroke engines. Clear start and stop damping range spikes of the tuned elastomer damper are present at 3900 and 5250 rpm, or 130Hz to 175Hz, for a narrow operating range of only 45Hz. Note the smoothness of the Fluidampr damping capability through the same rpm range."
Also, the third and fourth graph actually shows "The Fluidampr performance damper was able to cut amplitude of the excited 3rd order vibration generated by the 260Hz crankshaft resonance in half, down to below .1 degrees peak." I dare ask, do you even know what that means? You know, different frequencies and grades of vibrations, etc. I am not by any means an engineer but i have a somewhat clue about the complexity of it.
If you really want it simplified, the fifth chart shows the extent of vibrations at different rpm.
Name:  FluidDampr.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  80.0 KB

Next time, when you challenge the findings of a professional test, please make sure you really know what you are talking about.
Also, please stop spreading wrong info. "What this article tells you is harmonics don't exist at all for our cars." Yeah it so does hey! Totally! Please read my previous post for educational purposes!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-12-2017)