krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Hey @DSOmegaX or @Mr.Impreza or even @krayzie super naive question but I really now nothing about exhausts outside of catback meaning starting back from the catalytic converter and axleback meaning starting back from the axle (I may be wrong in those assumptions as well). Anyways, I understand now that Fujitsubo is high quality so assuming I went with the Authorize R Fujitsubo setup, could I also combine that with the STi Sports Muffler? Obviously after removing the Authorize R tips.

Thanks,
Basically the simplified exhaust system is as follows:

Engine -> Header -> Catalytic Converter -> Downpipe -> Muffler

Axleback just means it's basically just the muffler.

The STI Sport Muffler is designed to connect to the stock midpipe, where the connector is at the left side.

Here's a picture of the Sakamoto stock catback vs the Fujitsubo Authorize R catback system, see how the midpipe connections are different (Fujitsubo has a Y joint design approaching the muffler):

Me personally I would want a system with the least amount of joints as possible, less points of failure causing a leak.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but JDM OEM optional exhaust has to meet JARI standards just like the stock car (gov emissions and noise requirements). JDM aftermarket exhausts are usually JASMA certified quality standard and it's probably not as stringent in terms of noise and emissions (then again I thought JASMA was created to get gov authorization to stay legit), but then you should get more gains in performance thru less flow restriction designs?

You can research these orgs to get a better understanding:

JARI - Japan Automobile Research Institute (gov partnership R&D with the high speed loop track you always see on Best Motoring)
JASMA - Japanese Automotive Sports Muffler Association (jointly created by a bunch of aftermarket manufacturers to set some standards)

Last edited by krayzie; 07-08-2016 at 10:44 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (07-08-2016)