View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure if it has anything to do with being OEM glass or not, but anecdotally...

Our '93 325i had the original windshield for it's entire life and it didn't start to get that "sandblasted" look, especially noticed on misty nights in oncoming headlights, until it was over 200K miles.

Our '88 SL560 had what I believe was the original windshield when we bought it with 86k on it. It was badly fogged, i.e., the protective film layers had failed somehow, and it was very scary to drive at night; oncoming headlights pretty much blinded you from all the glare. We replaced the windshield at a typical windshield vendor, maybe safelite. Don't remember. 50k miles later, it's already showing some sandblasting symptoms.

The '13 FRS w/ 93K miles on it, original windshield, is currently in better shape than the SL's 50K windshield, and slightly better shape then the 220K windshield on the 325i, but does have some grit wear visible. Whether it's relative longevity compared to the SL's cheap replacement windshield is due to OEM glass or not, I have no idea. Anyone?
Dadhawk (08-16-2021)