View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
WRITEX

Drives: 2012 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You should be able to tell with the full coilover assembly off the car (without removing the camber plate from the strut) but of course having it all apart would help.

- Andrew
I decided to take apart the coilover a few days ago, but I didn't get that far.
The top nut spins and I can see a part between the bearing and the upper spring seat that spins along with it. I couldn't find any good way to hold the spinning piece in place, so I was unable to remove the camber plate.
...and so I decided to disconnect the end link and the lower control arm, then try to wiggle the coilover around a bit while it was still bolted in on top, just to listen if the bearing was making any noise. It wasn't.

I then noticed that the end link was easy to move around, not firm like it's been before. Turns out that the end that connects to the sway bar was loose. On both sides for some reason...

Tightened them both, reconnected everything, and the clunking was gone. Loose end links was the issue afterall. I didn't feel or see anything wrong with the end links when they were all mounted up, but figured it out as soon as I started disassembling stuff.

I'm now worried for when the camber plates/bearings actually do fail, as I have no idea how I will go about with removing the top nut.
WRITEX is offline   Reply With Quote