Old 06-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I was wondering if you are referring to this video?

While there is confirmation on the greatness of the handling improvements on the tS, I do wonder why such a huge gap over an extensively (and judging from the mod list, thoughtfully and functionally) modded BRZ. It leads me to thinking:

1. The older Falken tires, though still grippy, is bottlenecking the modded BRZ's full performance and not allowing it to make full use of its extra power. Likewise, the newer and fresher Pilot Sport 4 on the tS closed the gap.

2. Even with stock engine output in the tS, the aero improvements (and better tires) more than make up for the power difference in the modded BRZ. The tS' aero is THAT functionally awesome!

3. All that extensive modding (headers, exhaust, ECU tune, and upgraded suspension and brakes) actually did nothing...

I wonder which of the three cases is most accurate?
It’s probably the tires + suspension bits on the tS...If you compare the two clips of him driving...when he drives his car he’s sawing at the wheel, but in the tS he can keep the momentum through the turn.

I don’t drive on the track but even just on the twisties the tS really shines because it can hold speed through turns without VSC kicking in without the pedal dance. If I drove a non-tS twin the same way I drive the tS, the rear end is going to want to come out mid corner and you’d need to completely turn off VSC in that case. That’s the real character of a stock & non-tS twin, but the tS setup provides a delightful driving element that feels more sharper and confident.

Another difference most people aren’t aware of is that the tS has an “STI-Tuned” TCS & VSC. I’m assuming this is more to adjust to the grippier setup. What I’ve noticed is that the nannies just have a much higher threshold if left on, and an even higher threshold before kicking in, in track mode.