View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 11:28 PM   #94
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I installed the ssp stage 2 valve body with a full flush of redline (5 drain and fills) didn’t need to reset anything or do anything special just plug and play and ready to go.

Review
Stock and even for the most part full bolt ons NA i would consider the trans pretty good. Quick and responsive. But once i went FI not so much. On my initial FI tune it would hit limiter/fuel cut in auto mode in 1st gear bcs it couldn’t shift quick enough, in manual mode i would have to shift 400rpm before I actually wanted to shift. My tuner was able to change some transmission settings/parameters to only have to manual shift 250rpm early and raising limiter to 7500 auto mode in 1st could now shift before limiter. I found myself only manually downshifting and letting it auto up shift for the quickest most consistent pulls. My trans also would sometimes slip on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

Now with the stage 2 valve body it is unbelievable how fast and hard it shifts and grabs the gear. You don’t notice any stopping of or hesitation of acceleration in between shifts it is instantaneous. I can now upshift in manual mode again and it’ll shift only about 100rpm later but instantly letting go of the gear(clutches) and instantly firmly grabbing new gear(clutches) with no more “built in slip” for smoothness. auto mode almost short shifts its so fast.. My 1-2 shift hasn’t slipped at all either so far. This is an amazing mod for any AT owner who is FI it will add a lot of performance and actually should help extend the life of your transmission. You will really want/need a trans cooler though.

The only down side is the shifts when casually driving are a bit rougher, the “built in slip” is bad for performance but good for smooth comfortable shifts. It is nothing I can’t live with daily driving, but if I frequently drove my wife/girlfriend in this car I would maybe not get it. Luckily we have the family suv for that.

Thanks for the review. It's so hard to find detailed feedback on this topic. Do you have any videos that you could share of the stage 2 valve body upshifting the gears in manual mode under light load? Besides the wot shift delays, I really don't like the slop in the gears even while casual driving. It seems like the only time this transmission is programmed to return crisp, firm, DCT-like shifts is an aggressive, medium throttle take off from a stand still. Most other take offs or rolling start scenarios seem to result in slower, softer shifts with more slip (my car is a similar 86 with EdelbrockSC/e85/350rw).
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote